Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Movies



Note: This was originally written on June 4, 2012.

     For the first time in over ten years, I went to a movie with my husband, just the two of us. Since our daughter was born I had been to the movies as a family only a few times, to cartoon movies that our daughter would enjoy. We don't do that very often because our daughter prefers to wait and buy the movies to watch at home later, over watching them in the theater when they come out. Prior to her birth we rarely went to movies together because there are few movies I care to see, and our taste in films differs. My husband typically watches movies with friends or alone.

     We went to see "The Very Best Marigold Hotel". I really did enjoy the movie, even though it made me feel a little emotional. I enjoyed it because I have been to India a few times, and I have brought along friends to India for vacations. It was fun to see the characters' different personalities and how each one handled the situation. It also made me feel more inclined to go on another trip to India. There are so many parts of India that I have not yet seen.

     Back to the movies... There are some upcoming movies I do want to see. One is "Brave". Yes, it is one of the cartoon movies that my daughter will like, but I suspect I will like it too. I also look forward to "The Hobbit". I already read the book (a chapter at a time) to my daughter. Probably slightly scary for bedtime stories, but she enjoyed it nonetheless. One excuse for doing so was that I wanted my daughter to know the original story before seeing the movie (I try to stick to that rule when I can). My other excuse was that I wanted it fresh in my mind, as I last read it when I was a kid. I also would have gone to see the 3D releases of the Star Wars movies, but 3D gives me a headache if I watch it for more than a few minutes (probably due to my slightly messed up vision).

     One last thing, I found that watching a movie in the theater is much more enjoyable if I wear earplugs. I do have sensitive ears, and usually the volume levels in theaters is physically uncomfortable for me. Earplugs also have added benefit of discouraging my husband from talking to me during the movie. I just remembered, that was one of the reasons I stopped going to the movies with him in the first place.

:)

Update:  I did enjoy "Brave".  Now I'm eagerly awaiting "The Hobbit".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are thoughtful, polite, and/or containing constructive criticism are welcomed. Comments that are rude or abusive will be deleted.